Saturday, July 24, 2010

Passing the time

I took the kids to the Musee de la Civilisation yesterday which was fun. We spent most of our time in the exhibits on African Music, Forestry, and Ancient Egypt. Never quite made it to the Quebec History area. One of the things I liked about this museum was that in many sections, they had costumes for the kids to wear. So you can see Ayla and Isa here in their Egyptian costumes as they check out a sarcophagus.

I must admit though, that our Quebec City life is starting to wear on me. Despite having a big beautiful house, I'm finding the days here harder, and lonelier, than Montreal. The main reason is that we are so far away from everyone else. In Montreal I was always bumping into friendly faces in the hotel lobby, at the on-site cafeteria. Here, for two weeks I've had no other adult company, it's just me and the kids all day, every day. It's also a drag having to take the bus to the grocery store, and having no access to gyms or yoga classes. I've been running, but again, it's always alone.

We have no babysitters here. I have been trying to figure out who to ask, but no solutions yet. So for nearly 6 weeks Greg and I haven't been able to do anything without the kids. I know there are couples who always function like this - I have friends with grown children who never had babysitters raising them - but Greg and I have always relied on our occasional evenings out to keep us sane, and not having them now is hard for us both.

I know this won't last forever. My parents are coming to visit next week which will be great. And the kids' school starts in just two more weeks (August 7) - a different schedule, and less time trying to entertain Baz and Ayla, and more chances to be at the Cirque site bringing them to and from school every day.

In the meantime I am pining away for an adult exercise class, or a playdate, or dinner and a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment