Thursday, December 30, 2010

A smattering of London, part 2

I've been having trouble posting videos on this blog the last couple of weeks. I've contacted support, so hopefully it will be resolved soon. In the meantime, if you missed the last video I made in Amsterdam, it's on my Facebook page.

Yesterday I took the kids to the Tower of London. Known as a tourist trap, but still awesome, it lived up to its reputation. The kids and I were thoroughly entertained, exploring for over four hours, despite the crowds. Along the way I got to teach them about the English royalty and line to the crown, and of course about beheadings. Some unexpected lessons included seeing the Crown Jewels, the Ravens and the vast collections of royal armor in the White Tower. And you've got to love a place that gives small children a chance to hold a crossbow.



Today, December 30, they are back at school. They have school today, and on Dec. 31 and January 1. It felt so strange dropping them off at the elegant, imposing Royal Albert Hall, unable to even peek inside. For the duration of our time in London, Isa and I will not be able to go into RAH, except on Premiere Night to see the show. It is an odd disconnect for us, to not be able to have lunch in the artists' cafeteria, to watch the show from backstage. But the RAH is not Cirque's venue, and only employees and schoolkids are allowed inside - no exceptions.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that sounds tough - the lockdown on RAH! But cool about the Tower of London - we went there too and LOVED the crown jewels

    ReplyDelete