Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mom & Erin visit

Here we are - me, my mother Terry, and my sister Erin, in front of my apartment door here in London. Mom and Erin came just for a long weekend to London - four days - but we managed to fill it with a good balance of sightseeing, time with the kids, and long walks and talks.

We did, of course, do a lot of things that I never would have done by myself. For example, trekking to Kings Cross Station to find Harry Potter's Platform 9 3/4. Other things, I let them go off and do without me, like photographing the Abbey Road recording studio, or browsing luxury shoes at Harrod's and Selfridges. (My sister and I are very different people, have I mentioned that?)

One day we came across this sculpture in the Northwest corner of Hyde Park, and I was particularly impressed after watching this video of its installation.

One of the biggest treats for the kids during this weekend was our trip to Hamley's, the biggest toy store in London. 7 levels of toys! It is really an amazing place. And yes, that is Buzz Lightyear made entirely of Legos.

On their last evening here, Mom, Erin and I went to see the musical Blood Brothers in the West End. An amazing, intense show - remarkable actors, music, storyline - I thought it was terrifically well done, especially for a show that's been running for 21 years! How do they ever keep up the energy?

A last picture for today's blog, here's our family in front of Buckingham Palace. I dragged everybody out to hit some of the Big Tourist Spots the other day - we saw the Changing of the Guard, Trafalgar Square, and had a surprisingly stunning tour of Westminster Abbey. I had no idea that the cathedral is overflowing with tombs and memorials of kings and queens, famous writers and scientists. The experience was much less about the cathedral architecture, and more about the massive history, seeing the resting places of 800-year-old monarchs. This is particularly in sync with my reading habits of the moment, as I'm immersed in Philippa Gregory's juicy historical novels (right now, it's London in the year 1477 - The White Queen).

It's great to know that it won't be such a long time till I see my family again. We fly to Boston in 22 days! The time here is going by quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Shana,
    If you like Gregory, read Michelle Moran. She write historical fiction; "Cleopatra's Daughter" is one of my favorites. Moran also wrote "The Heretic Queen". Also look into Alison Weir, she wrote "The Lady Elizabeth", also a favorite of mine.

    I enjoy reading your blogs from time-to-time. I no longer take classes at PSCA and miss them dearly (particularly Niff & Kendra); my elbow and shoulder can't take it. I still keep up with the newsletter and my daughter (age 7) and I are going to see The Green Fairy. I have such a love for my year plus that I spent at PSCA and tell everyone to check it out.

    Chrissie Cohen

    ReplyDelete