Friday, February 11, 2011

I decided to play hooky from my life today and went to see an afternoon movie. It felt deliciously irresponsible to be sitting in a dark theater at 3:00pm, all by myself. And the movie was great! I've had my eye on The King's Speech since arriving in London, with its combination of English royal history, famous actors and rave reviews. I was not disappointed. And the cinema was the "The historic Coronet Theatre, which opened in 1898. It is one of the best and atmospheric venues to watch films in London." so I have an even further cultural excuse.

Yesterday they had USA Information Meetings for the staff at Cirque. Mostly the meetings covered logistics (paperwork, visas, taxes) but also went into some detail about our travel in the US. For example: in the first city, Charlotte, NC, we're actually outside the city, in Concord. There is no real public transit in this area, so Cirque will be running a shuttle bus all day long between the site and the apartments. We also found out that once in a while, between cities, Cirque will, instead of placing all of its employees on commercial flights or buses, actually just charter a plane or a bus.

It has just begun to dawn on me, the reality of traveling around the United States. Up until now I've been focused on the convenient parts. My cell phone will work! I'll be able to visit Philadelphia! I'll be able to find my favorite foods at the grocery store! ... and I haven't considered much how it's going to feel, when I have those inevitable lonely days, in places like Connecticut, Georgia, and Texas. When I don't even have the little thrill of being in a foreign city to keep me energized.



Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. To close tonight's post, a photo of the kids with Yahor and Ilya. Every day after school (as long as the weather is mild), they play outside the Royal Albert Hall for a while. It's just an open plaza, concrete all around, but kids are amazingly inventive. Every variation of tag and running races has been explored. And then sometimes they just get wacky, and of course Nastya and I encourage this sort of behavior. :)

2 comments:

  1. The way I see it, every place is foreign if you've never been. I'm sure you'll find tons of fun places to explore! Happy birthday eve by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dying to see that movie too!!! I'm sure NC will be full of places to explore - it seems foreign to me whenever I am somewhere new.xoxo

    ReplyDelete