Friday, May 20, 2011

My new passion

OK, it's time to write about my latest obsession:


I took them up on their Intro offer - $20 for 14 days of classes! And I managed to attend 10 CLASSES during this time. I am quite head-over-heels in love with this crazy, cultish, hardcore, awesome form of hot yoga. I don't even know how to explain it... the sauna-like hot, humid air, the dripping sweat, the spine-bending and muscles engaging... I've learned a lot in these two weeks. The biggest thing I've learned, though, is that Bikram is a route to the true focus of yoga. While I imagine people can discover this in any form of yoga (or physical practice, for that matter) - Bikram is really showing me what it means to be in the present moment. Let's not imagine I can actually do this yet - my busy little mind is nowhere near ready to quiet down. But I can glimpse it. I can understand what it takes to follow an instruction, and ignore the zillions of possible distractions. In my Bikram class no one drinks water. Or wipes away sweat. Or adjusts clothing. Everyone just breathes.

Every day now, I'm figuring out how to get to yoga class. (I even attended the 6am classes a couple of times). And though I had re-started running a few weeks ago - actually completing the Pittsburgh 5K run on May 14, with a decent-for-me time of 29:50 - it has taken a temporary backseat to my starry-eyed affair with Bikram.

It feels so good to be getting back into my body again. I had a rough 6 months after the half-marathon last fall - the hamstring injury, and limited fitness options in a few cities, had me in pretty poor shape by the time I arrived here in Pittsburgh. But I am now optimistic - it's going to be a strong and fit spring and summer! ...here's a little inspiration from Bikram Yoga Pittsburgh...

"You're never too late
never too bad
never too old
never too sick
to start from scratch and begin again"

No comments:

Post a Comment