Friday, June 3, 2011

Catching up

A number of things have kept me away from the computer this week, but the biggest one is that my 3-year-old HP laptop abruptly died. It had been giving me signs of discontent for some time - in recent months I hadn't been able to use the webcam, Wi-Fi, or anything requiring sound. But we persevered, HP and I. Until the morning that it simply wouldn't start.

I was persuaded to switch this week to a Mac. Why do I feel like I'm too old to be undergoing such a conversion? ...nevertheless, so far I am charmed by my little MacBook Pro, which came into my household just this morning. Apple sure does care about aesthetics. Every detail of the packaging and purchase-experience has been well-thought out. And you know, getting this machine up and running was almost comically easy. I am usually prepared to spend days trying to configure a new computer. But guess what? Here I am, blogging, instead. Yay Steve Jobs.


I have thoroughly enjoyed Pittsburgh over the last ten days or so. What an amazing city this is! I love so many things about it. It's so walkable, bike-able, and green. The bridges and rivers are beautiful. I don't normally pay much attention to architecture, but it's fascinating here - I love street scenes like this one, with a jumble of new and old buildings. ...I like the neighborhoods, the people, and the businesses I've come across here.

We spent a good amount of time this past week looking at animals, at the Pittsburgh Zoo and the National Aviary. I have to voice one complaint - the Pittsburgh Zoo seems to be completely inaccessible to pedestrians. Our trek with 4 adults and 9 children on a school field trip can only be described as arduous. How can a park, ostensibly about nature, contrive surroundings with no nearby bus routes or even sidewalks?

It's hard not to forgive them, though, when you get a close look at animals like these.

The Aviary was surprisingly great, too. (I think that should be Pittsburgh's tourism tagline. "Pittsburgh. Surprisingly great!") My mother, Isa, and I did this one, and were able to observe the most colorful tropical birds we'd ever seen. And Isa, of course, loved the penguins.



One last place I have to mention is the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh. Here's something I'd never seen before - a giant, beautiful, ornate cathedral that is not a church - it never was a church - it is a university building, a place to revere education. Besides this grandiose main space, there are "Nationality Rooms" all around the perimeter - rooms that were sponsored by different cultural groups in Pittsburgh, classrooms designed in the style of a historical period in their country. To take a self-guided tour, we were handed a cassette recorder and a key. We unlocked each room, played the tape recorder, and locked the door again on our way out. Totally marvelous.

In the middle of all of this exploring, I spent a full weekend doing an intensive course in Teaching English as a Foreign Language. This pursuit is partly for fun, but I've always really loved teaching English, and it's a great chance for me to take it a little more seriously. Many of the ideas we explored are going to come in handy immediately, with my Adult English classes and Kids English classes at the Cirque tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment