Saturday, September 24, 2011

Team Evolution!


The Totem Running Club officially had its first race today - the Toronto Zoo 10k! It was great. More hills than expected, but perfect weather, and animals on view.

Running, this past few months, has been mostly a hardship for me. My hamstring has continued to ache periodically, my mind has been distracted, and my heart's been with Bikram Yoga. (which, unfortunately, is just too difficult for me to get to on a regular basis.) But this Running Club has given me a new boost of energy. It's fun to run with a group! I run faster, the time passes more quickly, and I feel motivated to do more.

So today we all piled into the Totem van at 7:00am, groaning and complaining and laughing our way to the race site. We all finished with times we were proud of (mine was 1:04:30) and shared high-fives, post-race snacks, and more laughter on the way home.

The other members of the group are all Cirque employees, support staff on the tour. They include a technician, a schoolteacher, and staff from Tour Services and the Box Office. Jeff (white shirt, center) is the unofficial team leader, and he is Totem's Company Manager. It's a nice chance for me to get to know a different set of tour members.

So now, I have to decide if I want to tackle the Half-Marathon. It's just 6 weeks away, in San Francisco, and the other runners have already registered... I'm sure it will sell out, so if I'm going to do it I've got to commit now. I dread the training. But I really do like running with this group, and it would be a great accomplishment to do two half-marathons, wouldn't it? and I'll have the rest of the winter to sit on the couch (or, lie in the yoga Hot Room) - right? ...I'm trying to talk myself into this. My aching hamstring, and the memories of long, cold, lonely runs last fall, are trying to talk me out of it. Decision to come shortly.

1 comment:

  1. 13.1 in San Francisco! I'm jealous :) I hope you have a great time and training with friends helps sooo much! -Marcy

    ReplyDelete