Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trip to Montreal (or... Being Spoiled)

We had a double-dark this week. But instead of relaxing / adventuring, we had to use our two days to go back to Montreal (6-hour drive each way) for Baz's orthodontist.

I mentioned before that Baz has a Palatal Expander contraption in the roof of his mouth right now. I didn't go into too much detail about how difficult it was for us to make this happen. Doctors in Canada did not want to work with us when we said we could only be there for a few weeks, and would need to coordinate treatment with orthodontists in other cities. The one we finally got to agree, did so on condition that we take a trip back from Toronto for a check-up with him. Then, he gave us a full package of records to bring to an orthodontist in San Francisco.

So, this week was our trek back. We rented a hotel room, and since it was on our dime, we went low-budget, staying at a bland cheap chain hotel somewhere in the north-middle of the city. Views of highways out the window. The area had so little resemblance to the elegant Vieux-Port that I'd gotten accustomed to! Even the French language and signage had a raw edge to it, as the neighborhood had heavy populations of other ethnicities.

Having 5 of us in a hotel room was not the most fun I've ever had. When the kids went to sleep we couldn't do much but sit quietly in the dark. I slept poorly, waking up at every small movement or sound of the children. And in the morning, Baz was up at his usual 7am, which meant that the rest of us were, too. Here he is trying his best to stay quietly out of our way.... he's reading a book by the light of the window. :)

I'm worried about this because we have a lot of plans, over the next few weeks, to stay in hotel rooms. We're attending a wedding next weekend. And then in October, we are planning to spend a full two weeks driving across the country, staying at cheap motels and lodges throughout. And somehow I've got to stay sane throughout.

When I was a kid, when my family traveled, we camped. All in one small camper or tent. We never even had the luxury of hotel rooms. And every other family I know travels together to some degree... sleeping everywhere from motel rooms, to cabins, to cars! ...so why am I feeling like I can't handle these kinds of living quarters, that I'm going to go batty unless I have an apartment suite?!

Deep breaths. First, I must acknowledge that I have been spoiled for almost a year and a half now. Everywhere we go, we are swept into these beautiful lodgings, with separate kitchens and bedrooms, and we carve out our own spaces. I have gotten used to this travel routine, and to spacious apartments and some measure of privacy.

Second, as I think I've mentioned before, I have a powerful need for solitude. In the evenings, after all of the responsibilities that I handle during the day, I absolutely must have an hour or two shut up by myself. I often wish this wasn't the case... that I could get just as much solace from social interaction; but it just doesn't work for me, and I've come to accept that.

So in our travels I will simply have to take time for myself when I can; and when it's impossible, I'll take more of those deep breaths and try to stay in the moment. Hopefully, the adventures will be worth it.

On our way home we pulled off the highway to visit a Big Rock!! It's the Bleasdell Boulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment