Friday, October 7, 2011

Counting the seconds....

The artists are all just dying to get through this week. On Monday we will begin Annual Leave, our once-a-year 2-week vacation. Even though we have lots of shorter breaks, this one feels like a bigger deal. Cirque flies everyone home to their families at this time. Those who choose not to fly home have the equivalent airfare to go somewhere else... so some people are going on real vacations, to lie on the beaches in Mexico and Hawaii. No matter where they're going, everyone is just desperately eager to get there. These 10-show weeks have been draining for everyone.

So, here we are again, tearing apart our apartments and testing the limits of our suitcases...

3 comments:

  1. So glad the entire Totem family is now on a well deserved break. I know they must have been dying for the break, but they really did a wonderful job in their last few performances. I was on vacation in Toronto from the 7th to the 10th. I had seen La Nouba in Florida, loved it, and figured that since Cirque was in Toronto I should check it out while I was there (I just knew it had to be good). Went on Saturday night and fell in love.... so much so that I went back on Sunday afternoon. Spent my whole drive home to Rochester, NY listening to the soundtrack (and subsequently trying to avoid accidents as I replayed the lovebirds over and over in my head). Since arriving home I have googled Totem and viewed about 50 different websites.... so glad to stumble upon yours. A wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the life of a Cirque family. Thank you so much for sharing! (And thank your husband and his co-workers for making my vacation so amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Kristen... I love hearing when Totem reaches people so powerfully, it reminds me of the magic of it all, which we can sometimes forget when we're caught up in the day to day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome. Cirque helps people to expand their understanding of visual culture, which I think is so important. It isn't all about tricks and theatrics... while those definitely both contribute to the overall messages. It's art in it's ultimate form... music, movement and visual all in one. It is so much more powerful than any visit to the Guggenheim or MET (to me anyway). And while I sit here in my boring little Western NY suburb, I am living vicariously through your blog... wishing I could run away with the Circus!!

    ReplyDelete