Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving thanks

As expected, things have brightened considerably this week.

Yesterday, I had a meeting with some VIPs who gave me their time, attention, and some of the things I've been requesting. It was a great relief and confidence-booster.

Today, Thanksgiving Day, was un-festive except that Jeff and I did a Turkey Trot in the morning! I left here at 6:30am in pouring rain, but by the time we got to the starting line, the rain had decided to take a break. The course, in Oakland, was seriously hilly, making the whole thing more challenging than expected - but with Jeff keeping me company, I blasted through my old PR of 29:30, finishing at 28:02! I'm very proud of that!

The kids and I went to see Totem in the afternoon (Totem has two shows today - Baz and Ayla had a regular school day, as well), and then we enjoyed a terrific Thanksgiving feast in the kitchen afterwards. Our cooks outdid themselves, and I hadn't realized, until I sat down, how comforting turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes could be. Because, even though I am mostly quite fine with skipping out on Thanksgiving traditions, it still feels strange that all of my family is gathered without me, celebrating the usual way.

Well, there is one way that I can maintain a Thanksgiving tradition - by taking time to think about the things I am grateful for. The list is too long to include here... my life is one precious gift after another. But closing my eyes tonight for sleep, all that's there is gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment