Monday, May 21, 2012

Getting by

It's been an up-and-down past week.  Last Monday was great - we spent the day at Sea World.  We were so lucky to get free tickets to Sea World!  Totem has done an amazing job in this city exchanging tickets for some of the big attractions. ...And in the evening, we went to visit the home of our new friend Jean-Luc Martin, who is the director of the new San Diego Circus Center.

  ...After that, it was a routine week - lots of classes and lessons and kid-wrangling.  Here is a photo of our English class in action - some people are hiding from the sun, which burns so hot out there at 2:00 in the afternoon.


Things took a turn for the worse yesterday.  It was Sunday, and our nearby library branch was closed, so I decided to take the kids to the one in downtown La Jolla.  We figured out the buses, and made it to downtown - but when we got off the bus, I discovered my wallet was missing.  I must have laid it next to me on the seat, or something equally stupid, as I know I had it getting on the bus.

I spent the next couple of hours in a panic, as the kids and I didn't even have bus fare to get home.  I stopped every bus driver I could find, hoping I'd run into the same bus again, or that they'd know how to contact the other driver.  No luck.  Finally, the kids and I spent an hour at the library (unable to take any books out, library card in wallet)... then I called a taxi.  The taxi driver was willing to wait downstairs while I ran up to our apartment and raided Baz's piggybank for the fare.

I held out hope that the wallet would be turned into a lost and found ... but no.  This afternoon we finally started seeing fraudulent credit-card charges.  So, now, all the credit cards had to be cancelled, the cash was lost, in addition to museum passes, health insurance cards, photo identification.  If anyone out there has lost a wallet, you'll sympathize with me - it sucks.  And it is going to be a long road back to putting it all together again.

We did go to Totem's 2-year anniversary celebration on the beach this afternoon.  The event had everything going for it - a good turnout of people, lovely spread of food, decent weather, and fun extra things like this sand sculpture, beach volleyball, and kites to fly. The kids had a very good time.  Greg, however, had a minor surgery this morning on a saliva gland, so he's been kind of out of it all day.  As for me - I was in a funk.  Not vastly different than the general angst I've been feeling since I returned from Philadelphia last month; but it flares up at different times, and today was one of those days.

Tomorrow is a new day...



4 comments:

  1. Aw, so sorry to hear about your wallet. That is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost my wallet (more than once) and it STINKS! Big hugs... we miss you tons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost my wallet too and it was awful. Your awful experience was compounded by being with the kids in such a lousy situation. so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the sympathy. Not my first time experiencing this either, unfortunately, though I forgot how vulnerable it makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete