Friday, December 28, 2012

Transience

A couple of days ago, as we were packing our suitcases, I said to my Mom, "I'm ready to leave this city."  She said, "You always are."  This gave me pause.  Am I really always ready to move to the next tour stop?  And if so, what does that mean about my adaptation to gypsy life (and how will it be when I eventually settle back down?)

I don't think it's 100% true.  There have been a few cities along the way - notably, San Francisco and Boston - that I did not feel ready to leave behind.  In these places I had family connections, activities for the children, an interesting urban environment, and a very walk-able, public-transit-able lifestyle.  I wished we could have stayed longer.

But it's accurate to say that for many of our cities (15? 16? I have lost count), I am counting the days long before our departure.  The things that irritate me about any particular place - poor grocery shopping choices, long commutes, icky weather, isolation, etc. - all just loom up in my mind as I approach our departure.  "Last time I have to make this trek!" I think with satisfaction.  It's usually a constructive attitude to have - always looking forward to what's coming next.

It does make me wonder, though, what life will be like when we are done touring.  When the frustrations of our permanent home (poor grocery shopping choices, long commutes, etc.) will not be escapable.  There will be no countdown, and I'll have to get better at accepting whatever is less-than-perfect.  I imagine that there will be many, many things.

For now, I will embrace the touring mentality, and enjoy the fact that we have only three more days of cold Atlanta before we go to sunny Miami!

No comments:

Post a Comment