Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ringling Circus Museum

Yesterday was a thrilling day for me, as I got to visit a place of my dreams - the Ringling Circus Museum in Sarasota.  I felt like a teenager here, so wrapped up in love and delight that I could imagine losing myself for days.  Here is circus history at its most magical - posters, models, artifacts, interactive exhibits,  artwork, all detailing the roots of the familiar world I've been caught up in for so many years now.

We spent most of our time at the Circus Museum itself, only briefly exploring the Mansion (Ca' d'Zan) and skipping the Art Museum entirely.  (We had about 4 1/2 hours there, and could have used 8!)  Which means that I will have to visit Sarasota again someday - besides the Ringling complex, there are a lot of other arts and circus organizations here worth checking out.

The largest model circus in the world.












Watching a clown doing his makeup.














The grounds of the complex are beautiful - overlooking Sarasota Bay, with intricate gardens and outdoor sculptures and astonishing banyan trees like this one (you can see a tiny Baz and Ayla in the middle).
The drool-worthy circus collection at the Ringling library.











Inside Ca' d'Zan.  (Remind me, when I build my own Victorian Gothic palace, to give it such a bizarre and cool name.  This one means "house of John" in a Venetian dialect)

(*** sigh*** can't wait till I can come back here again!)

1 comment:

  1. I am heading to Florida on Monday (hooray for school vacation week) and visiting the Ringling Museum is in my plans for this visit so I appreciated this post :-) Guess I should plan to spend an entire day there next Saturday! Martha

    ReplyDelete