Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Deliriously happy in New York


"New York remains what it has always been : a city of ebb and flow, a city of constant shifts of population and economics, a city of virtually no rest. It is harsh, dirty, and dangerous, it is whimsical and fanciful, it is beautiful and soaring - it is not one or another of these things but all of them, all at once, and to fail to accept this paradox is to deny the reality of city existence." - Paul Goldberger, architecture critic


This is the view from our amazing 23rd Floor apartment in the Upper East Side of Manhattan.  It is breathtaking.  The apartment itself is incredibly spacious - it reminds me of our place at the Devonshire in Boston: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Our building is old and elegant, with chandeliers in the elevators and astonishingly cordial doormen.  We are, in short, living a dream.

My happiness living here is a type of delirium.... I walk around the city just in love with everything and everyone.  Maybe this will wear off.  But for the moment, everything just gets me glowing.  I love running in Central Park, and going to my new Bikram Yoga studio.  I love mingling with the morning commuters on the street and wrestling with the evening commuters on the subway.  I love the noise and the busy-ness and the fact that everyone in the world seems to be here. New Yorkers are hard edged and gritty and genuine. 


1 comment:

  1. It's quite a city and I always love my visits to it. Living there would be amazing. You certainly know how to make the most of each of your cities though.

    ReplyDelete