Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Not that bad

I kind of hate to admit this, but our new home here in Ohio is not actually that bad.

Given my innate pre-disposition to hate the Midwest, and to hate the suburbs, I was all prepared to have a month of rage.  We are living in a community of carefully build modern townhouses in Dublin, which is about as white and comfy of a suburb as you could dream up.  Philosophically I am full of angst.

But practically?  Life is pretty damn easy here.  You can walk across the street to a massive Kroger, restaurants, hair salons.  The prices of everything are a stunning relief of reasonable-ness.  There is a bike path to a big, beautiful playground, a 1/2 mile away.  We have our very own townhouse with a garage!  Where we can park our bikes!  And the kids can get out their bikes and go tooling around our safely-small-sized neighborhood all by themselves.  Just the access to the fresh air is noticeable - being able to open doors and windows and walk outside to check the weather.

Most delightfully, I discovered LifeTime Fitness on our first day here.  It's a .2 mile walk from our house, and it's one of the most massive fitness complexes I've ever seen.  It includes multiple exercise studios, basketball courts, two giant pools (inside and outside) with watersides, a big childcare center, and programs for kids like Rock Climbing!  (Isa got to do this for the first time and loved it!)

I am hooked.  I plan to be over there every day, taking classes, running on the cardio machines, or just soaking up the sauna.  These endorphins are going to sail me right through our 30 days here, I'm pretty certain.

3 comments:

  1. I was not the least bit enthused when I relocated to Dublin from Michigan. It took a little over a year for me to find little things that made it tolerable. The Columbus Zoo is outstanding, and is only 5-10 minutes away depending on where you're located. I just happened upon Indian Run Falls when visiting the Post Office (off of West Bridge Street/161). If you follow the path along, and depending on rainfall, the waterfalls are beautiful. Jenni's Ice Cream is one of the "pride and joys" of Columbus. There is one located on the corner of West Bridge and High St (161 and 23). If I may, I suggest Goat Cheese & Cherry or Hummingbird Cake. Fortunately, downtown is only a 15 minute drive on OH-315 South. You can find many unique shops and restaurants in the Short North/High Street. I sincerely hope you find, at least a couple, little treasures that will make your stay here fun and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I will definitely check out some of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Wish we could visit and climb rocks... xoxo

    ReplyDelete